Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Roller Coaster Adventures

I remember the last time I rode a roller coaster. It was a long time ago, but I remember it clearly. The anticipation as I waited in the long, slow line, that inched forwards. The excitement as I got closer to the ride, and the rush as I was locked in and the car started to move forward. There was no turning back and I was a little scared but very excited for what was coming next.

Click, click, click, I was slowly pulled to the top and stalled, for that brief second I was on top of the world, and then I lurch down with a rush to the bottom, falling with my stomach in my throat. In the end I pull safely to the platform and disembark with another fun experience to remember.

Why is it that when we say we're on an emotional roller coaster it has this bad connotation? I don't quite understand it, but this does seem to be the commonly understood meaning of the phrase.

I want to change that...

I've been on an emotional roller coaster, but though it is scary at times, I wouldn't trade it for the world. We don't pay exorbitant amounts of money at amusement parks to ride, "The Tallest Coaster in the World!" because it sucks. Its an experience-exciting, scary, intense and ultimately good. So let me explain my new definition of an emotional roller coaster.

Life can be, or I guess it just is, crazy. It is inevitable that we will go up and down and be thrown around in every which direction as we go through life. Thinks will be exciting, intense, scary- even sad and painful at time; but ultimately, as believers we know that God is good and has a plan in it all. As we are thrown about and don't understand what is going on, or where we will be going next, we can rest in the safety of God's faithful hands. Just as we rest in the safety of the car and the rail that it rides on. God is in control and He will guide us safely to our destination. We don't have to fret and worry about the ups and downs because He will bring us safely home.

Trust God as you ride your emotional roller coaster, and instead of scary or bad, you may find you're on an adventure instead.

1 comment:

  1. True. But it sure will be nice to get to the end.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog